Cockburn: Israel and "Anti-Semitism"

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Thu May 16 15:39:20 PDT 2002

The lack of sensitivity is endemic because that is what is communicated by the people in the know. For better for worse, the NYT is THE paper of record. There is no Whitewater, no Starr if the NYT does not run the Whitewater story. If the NYT repreatedly debunked the bull promoted by pro-Israeli commentators and the Israeli governement the debate would take on a much different tone. I would expect the NYT to side with black South Africans and in favor of an end to Apartheid. If the NYT did not, I would ask why. One ready answer would be that the editorial page is made up of almost exclusively whites. I do not need the same analysis for the WSJ because you can say that it is a syncphant to big business and big business prefers apartheid. My point is that it should not be beyond discussion a priori, though I would agree that one should look for a pretty good argument before you give the position any credence.

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: eric dorkin wrote:

> I must disagree: the jewishness of an institution could matter in
>some instances and not in others. It seems to me that it is not
>corret to say that it is relevant or not relevant without further
>argumentation. One reason it is relevant is that it is difficult to
>otherwise explain why the NYT lacks sensitivity to the plight of the
>Palestinians...a patently true observation. It may be simple
>economics -- circulation would be worse witha pro-Palestinian
>editorial page.

That lack of "sensitivity" is endemic in U.S. society. The position of the NYT is almost indistinguishable from other publications and broadcasters. The paper reflects perfectly the thinking of the more liberal wing of the U.S. ruling class, just as the WSJ's editpage reflects that formation's right wing. With Zionists eager to treat every criticism of Israel as motivated by anti-Semitism, why do any of their work for them?

>Certainly, we are right to point out that the NYT and most papers do
>not have racial diversity.

Yup. But that's more a labor issue than a content issue.

Doug