Nixon's the One

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu May 16 18:43:52 PDT 2002

>CB: My theory would be that the rightwingers had more money, lots more money, and this is why they
were totally more successful than the left. The bourgeoisie used their prime advantage to the maximum.

>^^^^^^^^

That's why it's so important to get big money out of politics, no matter if it seems like a Sisyphean task, and no matter if it seems lamely reformist.

Here's Gail Collins's New York Times editorial from today. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/16/opinion/16THU1.html

Campaign Reform's Slow Arrival Cockeyed optimists who were hoping that the nation's new campaign finance reform law would remove the influence of big-money donors overnight should have been brought down to earth on Tuesday when President Bush played host at a record-breaking $30 million fund-raiser. The reforms, alas, do not even take effect until after November — but it would be nice if some party decided to abide by their spirit this election cycle.

The law, signed by Mr. Bush in March, would ban donations to national parties by corporations and unions and sharply limit donations by individuals. At the president's fund-raiser, Republicans admitted that such galas would soon be obsolete. Very few Americans will be sorry to see them go.

It must be remembered, however, that these open-ended donations would never have started in the 1980's and spread in the 1990's if it had not been for a supine Federal Election Commission. Time and again the commissioners gave a green light to loopholes that grew in size every year. That same F.E.C. now has to come up with regulations to institute the new law. Reformers need to insist on airtight language and vigorous enforcement.

Yesterday the chief sponsors of the reform bill — Senators John McCain and Russell Feingold, and Representatives Christopher Shays and Martin Meehan — made a joint appearance to assure the public that they are keeping a close watch. In cases where the commissioner and staff have questions about the intent of the language, they should show deference to the views of those lawmakers who enacted the reforms in the first place.

The six-member Federal Election Commission consists of three appointees from each political party. The members have developed a habit of letting the parties get away with flagrant violations of the law. Often the commission has been split 3 to 3 and paralyzed. Even if the commission members put forward sound regulations now, it is time to recognize that as a body, they have outlived their usefulness.

A group of reformers led by Fred Wertheimer, president of Democracy 21, have proposed scrapping the commission and replacing it with one solid administrator, with violations of election law handled by administrative law judges. Congress should look next at replacing the Federal Election Commission with a body that has the power to enforce the reforms that Americans want. [end]