Kashmir

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon May 20 03:19:03 PDT 2002

On Mon, 20 May 2002, Ulhas Joglekar wrote:

> Independent Kashmir is a phantasy, even if they want it at this point of
> time.

So long as we're fantasizing, Tariq Ali had a lovely one in that wonderful long article he wrote on Kashmir last year in the LRB. He said the problem in Kashmir can only be solved by solving the larger problem of the relations between Indian and Pakistan. In the real world, they are sworn enemies, which is awful for them both. In a properly run world, they would be economically and administratively federated as sort of a proto-EU. And in a world like that, Kashmir could conceivably have a demilitarized independence under their joint aegis.

Of all the fantasies, that's my favorite.

Michael