Kashmir

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon May 20 08:17:13 PDT 2002

Ulhas Joglekar wrote:
> > Independent Kashmir is a phantasy, even if they want it at this point of
> > time.

Michael Pollak:
> So long as we're fantasizing, Tariq Ali had a lovely one in that wonderful
> long article he wrote on Kashmir last year in the LRB. He said the
> problem in Kashmir can only be solved by solving the larger problem of the
> relations between Indian and Pakistan. In the real world, they are sworn
> enemies, which is awful for them both. In a properly run world, they
> would be economically and administratively federated as sort of a
> proto-EU. And in a world like that, Kashmir could conceivably have a
> demilitarized independence under their joint aegis.
>
> Of all the fantasies, that's my favorite.

If you're going to fantasize, why not go all the way and imagine the complete dissolution of nation-states, which are after all set up to promote just the sort of conflicts now going on between India and Pakistan? Then Kashmir could be a place and the set of people who reside there, instead of a thing.

-- Gordon