Japenese upset about strong yen

Diane Monaco dmonaco at pop3.utoledo.edu
Tue May 21 10:22:34 PDT 2002

At 11:15 PM 5/20/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>What could they do? Awhile back one of the more out-there gold-bugs
>mentioned in an essay(I may have posted it) a speech where the Japanese guy
>mentioned the poso of Japan selling US bonds and buying gold. That would
>boost interest rates, I would guess. But I don't see how that would
>strengthen the dollar.

The action of selling US bonds would lower the price of these assets in the US bond market. And it seems to me that in an attempt to purchase these lower priced dollar assets, investors would have to enter the foreign exchange market to get the dollars to purchase the dollar assets. This would strengthen the dollar. I think that this may have been behind the action of raising the discount rate by the Fed recently -- banks would be forced to sell their US bonds for funds.

Diane