Japenese upset about strong yen

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Mon May 20 20:15:22 PDT 2002

What could they do? Awhile back one of the more out-there gold-bugs mentioned in an essay(I may have posted it) a speech where the Japanese guy mentioned the poso of Japan selling US bonds and buying gold. That would boost interest rates, I would guess. But I don't see how that would strengthen the dollar. I'm confused cause I can't think of anything they could do. They could hurt US but I don't see how they could help themselves. Speaking of out-there, I was kinda shocked today to see CBS MarketWatch quoting Bill Murphy, the fellow who's tried to sue Greenspan, Goldman and others, for manipulating the price of gold. If I recall correctly he also has a suspicion that the gold in Ft Knox is gone. Getting wild. Whatever's happening, I don't think it's very good for the country.

Monday May 20, 10:42 pm Eastern Time Reuters Market News Shiokawa:Need to mull action if any rapid FX moves

TOKYO, May 21 (Reuters) - Japanese Finance Minister Masajuro Shiokawa said on Tuesday he would need to consider steps if there were rapid movements in the foreign exchange market.

Shiokawa said although Japan has a policy of leaving forex rates to markets, the yen's recent rise against the dollar meant there may be a need to consider action in the market.

"I have asked authorities to monitor the market with vigilance...If there are any rapid movements, we need to consider steps to correct such movements and restore market principles," he told a parliamentary committee.

The yen has strengthened in the past few days despite repeated verbal warnings by Japanese officials. The dollar was standing at around 125.80/90 yen (JPY=) in late Tuesday morning trade in Tokyo.