Ali-Hitchens rematch

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Mon May 20 20:07:38 PDT 2002

>http://www.observer.co.uk/worldview/story/0,11581,718494,00.html

about the "subcontinental remark" and pc left

in an e-mail to Shah:

Dear Mr Shah,

Thank you for writing and, if it matters, for confirming that your provenance is indeed sub-continental. You may recall that your rather windy question had gone unanswered, with the subject switching away to religion, until I decided that you deserved some sort of reply. I thought I should identify which previous question and questioner I was addressing. Nobody objected to that, as why should they? Your decision to repudiate the identification won you a round of applause, and if I were you I would be content with that.

Your lame attempt to construe any more from this trivial exchange is - rather like the pains you take to deny being a Muslim - ill-intentioned and self-important.

Yours, Christopher Hitchens