Divide and Conquer Re: Cockburn: Israel and "Anti-Semitism"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 21 13:11:56 PDT 2002

Michael Ellis wrote:

>is doing so though kind of shooting yourself in the foot? this sort
>of thing by
>nature practically discredits any non "jewish" criticisms of Israel. you might
>as well start off the debate by saying "only jews are qualified to
>criticise zionism
>etc." the pragmatisim of the situation is that is the fix....further
>more it won't
>even work as it is practically silencing a majority of dissent over
>these matters.
>who cares what black or arabs have to say about all this....you
>can't trust them
>anyway. it's always good to encourage this type of behavior........

I'm not sure if I understand where you are coming from. The conclusion you draw (= "voices of Palestinian victims of Zionism either do not matter or matter less than voices of Jews") doesn't follow at all from a suggestion that we should highlight political divisions among Jews, so as not to create a false and politically counter-productive impression that all Jews are united in support of the Israeli government policy toward Palestinians. It's not as if you can't hear from Jewish and Palestinian critics of Israel at the same time. -- Yoshie