Fwd: Times Online Newsletter

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 21 15:44:59 PDT 2002

[hmmm, how much of this is going on? is the free lunch over, or they going to have to retreat? $58 ain't cheap]

Subscription to newspaper editions on Times Online

Dear Times Online reader,

I am writing to let you know that this week we will be introducing subscription for overseas readers wishing to read The Times and The Sunday Times newspaper editions online and to explain why we are introducing a fee for a service you previously received free of charge.

In order to make further improvements to Times Online and to continue to offer the services we know you value, we must put a price on some of those services - readers already subscribe, for example, to use our newspaper archive, to join our crossword club and to receive our World Cup VIP Pass.

We are asking you to pay £39.99 (approximately US$58) for an annual subscription that will allow you to read all articles published in the newspaper editions online over the past seven days for one year from the date of purchase. This represents tremendous value for overseas readers compared with the price of an annual subscription to the print editions - and guarantees fast and regular delivery of two of the world's greatest newspapers.

You will be invited to subscribe when you next visit one of our newspaper editions online. If you should decide to do so before June 17, 2002 you will be offered a free World Cup VIP Pass, worth £9.99, entitling you to privileged early viewing of reports and columns from our World Cup team - among them Bill Bryson - as well as e-mailed live match reports from our correspondents, a free entry to the Fantasy League game and our World Cup PDA service.

Thank you for reading Times Online, I hope you continue to enjoy doing so.

Brigid Callaghan Editor, Times Online