Fwd: Times Online Newsletter

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Wed May 22 07:54:51 PDT 2002

On Tue, 21 May 2002 at 6:44pm Doug Henwood wrote:

> [hmmm, how much of this is going on? is the free lunch over, or they
> going to have to retreat? $58 ain't cheap]

that's about what you pay for the WSJ online, isn't it?

> We are asking you to pay £39.99 (approximately US$58)
> for an annual subscription that will allow you to read
> all articles published in the newspaper editions online
> over the past seven days for one year from the date of
> purchase.

but this bit seems like a ripoff -- no archival access beyond the last seven days? that sux. one of the reasons it annoys the shit out of me for people to post links to NYT articles, rather than the text is the links are worthless unless you read the list every day and can pull up the article the same day it's published, or are interested in paying the NYT (i'm not).

i pay about $58/yr for the NYRB on paper and am about to send them another $20 to get access to all, rather than just some of their archives online.

most of the papers seem to be following this pay for the archives model, with the notable exception of WSJ. with WSJ, what kind of archival access do you get?

-- no Onan

Undefeated, everybody goes home