"dangling a cigarette"

Daniel Davies dsquared at al-islam.com
Mon May 27 22:42:35 PDT 2002

Sorry for the offtopic meander, but it is powerfully early and my mind is wandering.

For some reason, the passage that caught my eye in "Hitchens: Dishonorable Policeman of the Left" was this one:

"No, he is an industry, posing in trench coat with a cigarette dangling from his top lip,

[...]

Hitchens now sees himself as Orwell (who, as the cover of Orwell's Victory reminds us, also dangled a cigarette from his top lip)"

How, anatomically, does one go about dangling a cigarette from one's top lip? I've been a smoker for about sixteen years, and I don't think I've ever managed to dangle a cigarette from my top lip. It would just fall out of your mouth, surely? Short of sticking the thing there with chewing gum, I don't believe it's possible. I've had a look at the picture of Orwell on the front of Hitchens' book, and he certainly seems to be holding the cigarette firmly in his mouth, like a normal person:

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/071399584X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Is this "dangling a cigarette from one's top lip" code for something? I'm confused.

dd