"dangling a cigarette"

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue May 28 06:33:52 PDT 2002

Hi,

Picky, picky, picky. Certainly one cannot dangle a cig from JUST the top lip except on a starship. But there are many cigarette fashion statements, as any fan of Betty Davis can explain (Davis once garnered a round of applause just for lighting a cigarette during an appearance--she raised cigarette style to high art).

So it has to do with just catching the end of the cigarette with the top lip while the bottom of the cigarette rests on the bottom lip. The result is that the cigarette dangles down at an angle. It expresses a certain attitude of arrogant indifference and disdain--laced with a testosteroned "I would stomp you but you are too boring."

John Paul Raimondo--ooops, that's Jean-Paul Belmondo--the French actor--was an example.

Justin Raimondo of antiwar.com is another classic example. See his cig-dangling visage and supercilious arrogant attitude in text at:

http://www.antiwar.com/justin/justincol.html

-Chip "I only smoke cigars" Berlet