"dangling a cigarette"

Peter J. Schledorn pjs at harpo.admin.unc.edu
Tue May 28 07:22:04 PDT 2002

On Mon, 27 May 2002, Daniel Davies wrote:

> How, anatomically, does one go about dangling a cigarette from one's
> top lip? I've been a smoker for about sixteen years, and I don't
> think I've ever managed to dangle a cigarette from my top lip. It
> would just fall out of your mouth, surely? Short of sticking the
> thing there with chewing gum, I don't believe it's possible.

I've seen it done, many years ago. I only saw it in dedicated chain smokers of unfiltered cigarettes (what does Hitchens smoke?). They would apparently build up a sticky residue that would glue short ends (like the last half-inch) to their upper lip. I've seen people hold conversations with a short bit of burning cigarette dangling from their lip. A bit distracting.

So it is a bit like sticking them there with gum ;-).

Best, Peter