Russia joins NATO with a joke

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Tue May 28 06:25:46 PDT 2002

Russia joins NATO with a joke With BC-NATO-Russia

ROME (AP) - Russia's first action as a limited partner in NATO was ... a joke.

Before the ink dried Tuesday on an agreement establishing a new NATO-Russia Council, Russian President Vladimir Putin quipped, "We should call ourselves the House of the Soviets."

As in "soviet," the Russian term for council, not the communist Soviet Union of Cold War days.

A few leaders at the table, including U.S. President George W. Bush, chuckled.

So that Putin's remarks would not be misunderstood in the minutes of the meeting, NATO Secretary-General Lord Robertson said, "I will declare that to be a joke."

Russia and the 19 NATO partners signed the agreement during a summit at the Pratica di Mare air base.