Hitchens gay?

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed May 29 02:52:36 PDT 2002

Daniel Davies wrote:

>Ahhhh I see. For some reason I'd got it into my head that the author of
>the original piece was trying to insinuate that Hitchens was gay.

And Doug wrote

"He once was - flamboyantly so, according to some reports."

A friend of mine used to bump into him regularly, climbing out of the window of one of the women only colleges at Oxford in the early hours of the morning, or so he says..

I always took his effete personal styling to be modelled on one of those louche Dirk Bogarde characters, the cynical colonial officer who - though he ultimately deplores the old British Empire - still faces down the fanatical and murderous nationalists, who lack common human decency. This character requires a slightly sweaty-looking two-day stubble, off-white suit and a bottle of whisky. -- James Heartfield The 'Death of the Subject' Explained is available at GBP11.00, plus GBP1.00 p&p from Publications, audacity.org, 8 College Close, Hackney, London, E9 6ER. Make cheques payable to 'Audacity Ltd'