Indonesia question

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 29 14:01:52 PDT 2002

ChrisD(RJ) wrote:

>Rather a large number. They hang out in hotel lobbies, talk to each other
>and talk to the identical same talking (always pro-Western) talking heads.
>They speak exclusively to middle- and upper-class Russians who speak
>English. They know absolutely nothing about Russia. They can't even watch TV
>or read a magazine.

Well, the NYT had James Brooke covering Canada from Denver, because they were tired of paying Canadian taxes. I learned this from the Yale alum mag, where Brooke reported his new "posting" as if it were no more than amusing.

My late friend John Liscio used to cover the Fed for a wire service in the early 80s, back when the Thursday afternoon money supply release was big news. He said that after the press conference, all the journos but him would get together and talk over how they'd cover it. No one wanted to deviate from the consensus.

Doug