Vidal and Doug

budge budge at el-pleasant.org
Wed May 29 12:27:40 PDT 2002

On Tue, 28 May 2002 at 2:42pm Doug Henwood wrote:

> Is closed-captioning on TV done by voice recognition? I
> was watching the news one night in a loud bar, so all I
> could catch of the soundtrack was the text - which kept
> rendering the name of the governor of New York as
> "Pack-tacky." Which is pretty funny, but I'm guessing
> not some wag's critique-on-the-fly.

My all time favorite (it is now a standard line around my house) came while watching the Russian news broadcast that NWI broadcasts. The story was some financial scandal or another having to due privatization of some company and where the captioning should have read "... so where are the profits ...?" but instead came across "...so where are the prostitutes...?"

(This is a Russian language broadcast overdubbed by an *incrediblely* bored interpreter that regularly sighs in the middle of sentences as though he is too weary to go on.)

-- no Onan

Undefeated, everybody goes home