Bashing Al Sharpton (Was: Re: Chomsky News Network)

Kendall Grant Clark kendall at monkeyfist.com
Thu May 30 11:14:43 PDT 2002

>>>>> "justin" == Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> writes:

justin> friend from law school's a conservative Christian fundamentalist, and

justin> an absolutely wonderful person. Very brilliant, too, a PhD

justin> engineer. There are people here who are genuinely awful, of course,

justin> Borks and Bennetts and Matthew Hales, Phil Sheridans and Al

justin> Sharptons.

Al Sharpton is as genuinely awful as Bork and Bennett? Even if you believe the very worst about the Brawley affair, that makes Sharpton as bad as Bork and Bennett?

I admired Sharpton *before* he was the only national political figure to show up in Philly during the 2000 Republican Convention protests, to show some solidarity with jailed protesters. That meant a lot to me, squatting in the park across the street from the Philly Round House jail.

You should read the long and very interesting Sharpton interview in the latest *Transition*. He comes off as vastly more serious, clever, intelligent, well-read, and sympathetic than one might expect. He seems to be making real plans to run for Prez in '04.

When did Bork or Bennett ever spend 30 or 40+ days in prison for civil disobedience over an issue like bombing Vieques? I submit that in addition to being evil, Bork and Bennet are moral cowards; say what you want about Sharpton, he's no coward.

Best, Kendall Clark -- Jazz is only what you are. -- Louis Armstrong