Chomsky News Network

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Thu May 30 11:18:20 PDT 2002

kelley at pulpculture.org wrote:

> Chomsky's response is lame. People want to hear him say and mean it: I live
> in the greatest country on the planet. they want to hear him say, I love
> this country so fucking much that I want us to do better. I love the
> people in this country. I know we're a compassionate people. I know we want
> freedom and equality and peace. And I want our nation state to do what i
> know American people stand for because I know they don't stand for death,
> destruction, and terror.
>
> Now, I don't know if Chomsky is capable of that. Are any of us capable of
> saying the above and meaning it? Do you want to criticize the US because
> you think the US is a nation of good and decent people, etc? I think that,
> on some left principles, it is anathema to say that. I think Chuck
> described it as selling out or something.

Kelley: You are out of touch with the mood of America. People want to hear wnat Chomksy has to say, that's why they are buying his book. That's why they are buying Michael Moore, Gore Vidal, and Barbara Ehrenreich's books. Is anybody buying Bill Bennetts' book? Nope. He is yesterday's scold.

It would really suck for us if Chomsky pandered to the "Love America First" crowd. The patrotism out there is incredibly shallow. People are pissed off about Enron, the recession, and the Bush administration's handling of 9-11.

If some white people in Peoria are pissed at Chomsky, I say fuck them. They make up a minority on this planet. It's really important right now to speak the truth to power, before the current regime gets any bolder.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)