Chomsky News Network

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 30 11:35:02 PDT 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

> >Ah, here we go, just read Kelley channelling her mother-in-law. So
> >sure, let's get it out. Fuck the US. We are an asshole people,
> >stingy, mean, stupid, and brutal. I have no idea why people come
> >here. Explain it to me again. I don't get it.
> >

> Let me tell tell you about pogroms in Russia and Poland. . . . It was worse
> there.

In the quoted passage Chuck fucks up by shifting the topic. It is fairly obvious that the U.S. at the present time (for _most_ but not overwhelmingly "most" of its people) is a better place to live than many other places past and present. So Chuck's query deflects attention from how horrible, how fundamentally indecent, the U.S. as a state is from the perspective of humanity as a whole, present and future.

Carrol