Loyalty oath

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu May 30 10:17:59 PDT 2002

At 01:08 PM 05/30/2002 -0400, Kelly wrote:

>Chomsky's response is lame. People want to hear him say and mean it: I live
>in the greatest country on the planet. they want to hear him say, I love
>this country so fucking much that I want us to do better. I love the
>people in this country. I know we're a compassionate people. I know we want
>freedom and equality and peace. And I want our nation state to do what i
>know American people stand for because I know they don't stand for death,
>destruction, and terror.

Why is this the greatest country in the world? Is patriotism the point where your imagination stops? Is there no greater good than the U.S.?

Are we a compassionate people? Evidence? Are we not directly involved or complicit in killing/enslaving millions of people? For what? To further "democracy"?

>Now, I don't know if Chomsky is capable of that. Are any of us capable of
>saying the above and meaning it? Do you want to criticize the US because
>you think the US is a nation of good and decent people, etc? I think that,
>on some left principles, it is anathema to say that. I think Chuck
>described it as selling out or something.

I am not capable of saying that and meaning it. I continue to live in the U.S. because my family and friends are here, and because if people like me (the political opposition) leave, things will get worse.

Joanna