Chomsky News Network

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 30 11:38:39 PDT 2002

Michael Perelman wrote:

> Kelly's question about what Chomsky might have said is very important.
> Chomsky has a few seconds to refute decades of propaganda. Either he has
> to genuflect to the propaganda, negating his message, or whatever he says
> will be discredited in the eyes of most people. True, if he were to be
> able to repeat his message several times, it would take on more force.

What it is important for him to say is not whatever will most influence people now but what will be worth looking back on the most from the perspective of a year or ten years from now.

I can't quite understand why anyone would expect the likes of us to make a difference now. If I were to indulge in psychological theorizing (which would be false, but I'll do it anyhow) I would say the only intelligible reason is that they put their own immediate social comfort ahead of the survival of the human species, including their own children. They don't give a fuck about how many millions die miserably 5 years from now as long as they don't get embarassed this very second.

Carrol