Chomsky News Network

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 30 11:53:43 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Why is it essential to indulge the national narcissism?

But we live in the City on the Hill. All we have to do is tell people how beautiful they are and how glorious that city on the hill is and . . . . Damned if I know.

Except I'm finding this intellectual orgy pretty dispiriting. I think I'll return to my current (nth) rereading of the Cantos. I've reached XIII.

Exercises my lungs, revives my spirits opens my pores

reading Tully on Cataline quickens my circulation.

Canto 73

Of course the core evil in the _Cantos_ was precisely Pound's imbibing of the doctrine of The City on the Hill.

Oh Well.

Carrol