Chomsky News Network

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu May 30 15:34:29 PDT 2002

> I saw it when it first came out and it struck me as apologetics for
> Thatcherism. Was I being unkind?

Hunh. I remember it as exactly the opposite. And the scriptwriter and director were both savage anti-Thatcherites, fwiw.

But who knows, maybe my mind was playing tricks. And it was 20 years ago. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing it again and finding out if it looks different now. I sure liked it a lot at the time.

Of course, the mood of the moment always plays a much huger role in film reception that we sociologists of culture would ever want to admit.

Michael