Foucault & Israel

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu May 30 11:43:15 PDT 2002

It's hardly news that Foucault was a supporter of Israel. Indeed, that was quite characteristic of the French leftist intellectuals of his generation. After all Sartre and Simone De Beauvoir were likewise supporters of Israel too (De Beauvoir as I recall received a number of awards from Hadassah and other Zionist groups for her work in supporting Israel). I suspect this had a lot to do with guilt feelings over the degree of French collaborationism with the Nazis during WW II (the French police and civil service, by and large, were very helpful to the Gestapo in rounding up Jews to be sent to the concentration camps).

Jim F.