Iceland to wean itself off of fossil fuel

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu May 30 15:18:47 PDT 2002

> fossil fuels enjoy enormous advantages over any alternative because
> the infrastructure for its distribution and use (e.g. the system of
> gas stations and service facilities specializing in servicing
> gasoline powered cars) is already in place - but it would have to be
> built almost from scratch for hydrogen-powered cars.

Without violating any of the NDAs I've signed, I'll say that you're thinking about this all wrong :-)

In any case, the fossil fuel distribution network is _not anywhere near_ zero-cost to run now that it's in place; so just because it's in place doesn't mean it couldn't be unseated. It's messy, slow, very expensive, dangerous, and comes with a huge potential liability in the form of spills, etc.

/jordan