WTC toxins

Paul_A paul_a at igc.org
Thu May 30 16:32:22 PDT 2002

This report, especially in the part aimed at the media and the public, sounds reassuring about the threat of toxics. From what I have seen the media has reported it accordingly.

But only once one reads past the media part does it emerge that the air sampling was only BEGUN in the 2nd week after the collapse with most sampling done much later. By then of course 'the air had cleared'. Then one plods more into the technical part and there is a little sentence that says (I am no expert) that the sampling of ground dust (which was previously in the air and being breathed by the rescue workers) shows a cocktail of toxic chemicals, just low levels of asbestos.

People who are true medical 'experts' on this issue all express surprise to me at how heavily many parts of government have tried to 'spin' the reassurances from the beginning and this report is issued by a very serious minded agency, the CDC. What is so hard about saying that there is a lot we don't know (and may never know) especially since there was so little tested in the critical period?

Paul A