Chomsky News Network

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Thu May 30 20:01:02 PDT 2002

At 09:38 PM 5/30/02 -0500, Peter K. wrote:

>But seriously, you lack imagination. In one corner we had the guy who
>believes America is the best country EVER (except for all the porn and
>single moms) and in the other, a guy who thinks America is the great
>Satan. Each thinks the other is completely insane. I would have bet cash
>Bennett was going to lose it, but instead he just scolded "Shame On You,
>Shame On You Professor." Whatever.

but chomsky doesn't think that. he even said that he chooses to live in what he thinks is "the greatest country in the world". he said it with far more conviction than i think a lot of people here would say. i mean, he didn't even stutter. when he said it. and i about fell off the total body gym thingy i was working out on at the time. but he didn't say it as convincingly as i suspect he thinks and feels it. i thought he believed it, but it wasn't particularly forceful because he got sidetracked, angry with bennettbarf for misrepresenting his book.

but what is especially interesting, to me, is that if the phrase drips from the lips of someone beside chomsky it is anathema. and yet chomsky said it.

kelley