How Great We Are

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri May 31 06:27:30 PDT 2002

Max says:

> >From my Blog.
>
>As Whitman said, I celebrate and quote myself,
>or something like that . . .
>
>CHOMSKY: I don't. I choose to live in what I think is the greatest country
>in the world, which is committing horrendous terrorist acts and should stop.
>
>MaxSpeak: This line discombobulated a bunch of my slightly far-out friends.
>They have apparently internalized Bozo's equation of the crimes of the USG
>with "the country" and react by disassociating themselves from "the
>country," not incidentally putting themselves out on the political
>equivalent of Neptune. Political tip to agitators: don't attack your
>intended audience as war criminals. If your intended audience is indeed made
>up of war criminals, you need to pick a new audience. Obviously the fact
>that I live here says something about what I think of the country, although
>I also dig France, Canada, the Netherlands, Italy, and merrye England.

If the USA were really "the greatest country in the world," we'd have the shortest hours of work and the highest living standard. However, we have yet to win the Gold Medal in the Working-Day Olympics, the Health Care Olympics, the Education Olympics, and so on and so forth.

We _are_ number one in the Military Spending Olympics, the Nuke Olympics, the Star Wars Olympics, the Covert Action Olympics, and the like, but winning in them is not compatible with winning in the Olympics of Working-Class Welfare. -- Yoshie