Bashing Al Sharpton (Was: Re: Chomsky News Network)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 31 08:14:47 PDT 2002

Brad DeLong wrote:

>Is there anyone who does not believe "the very worst" about the
>Brawley affair? I didn't know that Sharpton had any defenders on
>that--anyone who would say anything but, "That was a long time ago;
>he's changed..."

The Transition interview is very impressive, but I'm kind of a Sharpton fan anyway. The guy is very smart, and lots of white liberals and leftists seriously underestimate him. The Brawley affair was disgraceful - race relations in NYC in the late 1980s and early 1990s were pretty toxic. But it was a long time ago, and he has changed. From reading the interview, it sounds like he believed Brawley's story at first, and then got so wrapped up in it that he couldn't retreat.

Doug