i have a passport therefore i am a citizen

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Fri May 31 09:05:09 PDT 2002

In a message dated 05/31/2002 10:17:46 AM Central Daylight Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

> Speaking of The Internationale, I've been Gnutella-ing a bunch of
> versions of it. I came across one by a Scottish singer, Alistair
> Hulett, which is pretty good, but it's only the first minute or so of
> the full version. I've emailed the address given on his website to
> find out how to get the whole thing, but no answer. Anyone know
> anything about him, or the recording?
>
> Doug

Don't know the Hulett version, but here's an interview with Bragg:

http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=special&s=frey2002029

Excerpt:

HF: But it's clear there is plenty happening now to respond to. The single from your new record, "NPWA" (No Power Without Accountability), strikes me as a paean to the global justice movement.

BB: The job of the singer/songwriter is to try to reflect the world around him, and obviously the global justice movement has been the big cause célèbre since Seattle. When I was in New York in February, there was stuff I saw going on the like of nothing I've ever seen on the left before.

I went to a Methodist Church where activists were speaking about how they were going to organize the demonstrations [around the WEF] two days later. They asked me to sing a couple of songs so I sang "NPWA"--and then they wanted me to sing the "Internationale," and that really touched me, because we do have a strong tradition on the left, and one of the things we have to gain from the demise of the Stalinism of the Soviet Union and the Berlin wall is that we have an opportunity to create a leftist idea outside the shadow of totalitarianism.

Jacob Conrad