Chomsky News Network

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Fri May 31 09:47:15 PDT 2002

Miles Jackson wrote:

> You seem to be buying into the stereotype that all real leftists hate
> America (I guess you think all leftists spell it with three k's). The
> really think Chuck-I-hate-this-motherfucking-nation is representative
> of people with left sentiments? I guess you travel and hobnob with
> different leftists than I do.
>
> For myself, I agree with Chomsky's sentiment: we should and can do better.

Chomsky is not a supporter of patriotism or "improving this country." As an anarchist, he understands the stupidity of the nation state and patriotism. If he sounds like he is suggesting that people "reclaim this country," he is only doing so in the context of having to explain radical ideas to normal working people.

Personally, I was really disappointed with Chomsky's CNN quip about the "greatness" of the United States. Given the circumstances, I'll forgive him for this intellectual lapse.

Most of us don't choose to live "in this country." I was born in Iowa and raised in Kansas. I didn't have much "choice" in that situation. Currently, I "choose" to live in Washington, DC because I have friends and comrades here. Since I don't recognize the authority or legitimacy of the American state, I'm under no illusion about "choosing" to live "in this country."

Finally, I think my sentiments about the American state are pretty typical for most leftists. They may not say so publicly, but privately they hate the U.S. like any respecting leftist should.

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)