Chomsky News Network

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Fri May 31 10:59:40 PDT 2002

At 08:10 AM 5/31/02 -0500, Michael McIntyre wrote:
>Shit, kell, why don't you just do a content analysis of the responses to
>your post? Seems to me there was a pretty decent distribution - from
>folks like me saying "but Chomsky is a patriot" to folks agreeing with
>you, to one of the Chucks saying I hate this motherfucking country. So
>where's the party line?

shit Michael, you are right maybe I should have named names. I was referring to a process, "isn't that the process that goes on here" because it does go on here. That people like you and others don't engage in the process doesn't obviate that it goes on. it goes on in all kinds of venues on all kinds of topics: free market or not? planning or not? is there anything good about capitalism or western values? I'm talking about just a few responses, but they are powerful voices on this list and they declare themselves the gatekeepers quite reguarly by denouncing others as not really leftists, or not serious thinkers, etc.

and look at what's happened on this list re 9-11. how were Brad, Nathan, Doug, Dennis Perin, Peter K, etc. were treated. And, event hough i made it clear i disagreed, even the act of defending them was met with hostility by many people on this list, even peole who don't engage in gatekeeping. those were stupid attacks on these guys, especially since the attacks insisted on ignoring every thing they'd ever written before. they were expected to denounce the US repeatedly before they could take their position in support of a police action.

It's not a new debate or schism. The demand to be a 'real' lefty takes place all the time. i mean, take notice of the fact that i generalized the terms, and was not talking about patriotism or anything but the very general process of demanding that we prove our lefty credentials repeatedly by sucking the cock AND balls (this is a reference to the lesbian phallus) of the gatekeepers of "true leftism" -- that is, the people who don't hesitate to claim that you aren't a true lefty if you don't support this or that position.

freakin' chuck0 just did the same damn thing that has been done do him. he's been repeatedly attacked by carrol et al for his failed leftyism. and now he's doing it to others. and what is hilarious to me is that the content of what i say is not a whole lot different than what he says, but he won't see it because i haven't done it in just the right and proper way.