Fw: David Corn: troubling origins of the anti-war movement

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Nov 1 11:31:50 PST 2002

> So a question to the antiwar movement. With millions dying of AIDS when
> cheap drugs and minimal investment in a medical infrastructure could save
> many of them, why can't we get 100,000 people to rally on their behalf?
Why
> are rallies so easy to mobilize for "no war" but not for "yes to saving
> life"?
>
> -- Nathan Newman

Not sexy. For all their talk about the "common folk" and "the workers" and others they spend little if any time with, the ultras and their soft allies are as drawn to spectacle as any showbiz capitalist. Celebrity too -- I mean, Mumia? The issues of fair trials and capital punishment aside, the image of Mumia has now taken on near-Hollywood proportions. He's a one-name star, like Cher, Elvis, Madonna, OJ, though, unlike the former Bills great, Mumia's celeb hasn't drawn in any comparable Dream Team defense.

Does Workers World have a law division?

DP