Fw: David Corn: troubling origins of the anti-war movement

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Nov 1 12:04:09 PST 2002

Dennis Perrin wrote:
>>So a question to the antiwar movement. With millions dying of AIDS when
>>cheap drugs and minimal investment in a medical infrastructure could save
>>many of them, why can't we get 100,000 people to rally on their behalf?
>
> Why
>
>>are rallies so easy to mobilize for "no war" but not for "yes to saving
>>life"?
>>
>>-- Nathan Newman
>

> Not sexy. For all their talk about the "common folk" and "the workers" and
> others they spend little if any time with, the ultras and their soft allies
> are as drawn to spectacle as any showbiz capitalist. Celebrity too -- I
> mean, Mumia? The issues of fair trials and capital punishment aside, the
> image of Mumia has now taken on near-Hollywood proportions. He's a one-name
> star, like Cher, Elvis, Madonna, OJ, though, unlike the former Bills great,
> Mumia's celeb hasn't drawn in any comparable Dream Team defense.
>
> Does Workers World have a law division?

Yes. The Partnership for Civil Justice functions as their de facto law division.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)