a death

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 1 20:09:38 PST 2002

>>Sad news: I just got an email saying that long-time listmember Alec
>>Ramsdell died in Chicago on Oct 18.
>>
>>Doug
>
>This saddens me terribly. I cried this morning over it. Alec had
>contacted me off list several times over the years and I found him
>to be such a billiant light and warm human being. I never knew,
>however, that he was battling heroin. We need him. We cannot
>afford to lose people like Alec. It is surely our tragic loss.
>
>Marta

When Alec wrote about his experience of heroin addiction, he put it in the past tense,

whether he was theorizing it...

e.g., * On one level, my experience of using was that of a kind of deconstitution of subject, a movement of psychic implosion where boundaries gave way, where the meeting ground of subject & society was renegotiated. Where the subject, the private, consolidated the social, the public, to it's body, thereby 'stealing' it's social nature (not letting it be it, not being a social being)."

<http://www.marxmail.org/archives/august98/zizek.htm> *

or speaking personally about it...

e.g., * Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

. The difference
> is rooted in
> biology: "when you get angry, your heart rate and
> blood pressure go
> up, as do the levels of your energy hormones,
> adrenaline, and
> noradrenaline.... Anger is a natural, adaptive
> response to threats;
> it inspires powerful, often aggressive, feelings and
> behaviors, which
> allow us to fight and to defend ourselves when we
> are attacked"

That's why I loved shooting dope. These days, I just can't get sleep.

Alec

<http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0108/1981.html> *

Struggle in the present progressive did make itself felt, especially when he didn't directly refer to addiction:

At 11:10 PM -0700 8/17/01, Alec Ramsdell wrote:
>Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 23:10:31 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Alec Ramsdell <aramsdell at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Compassionate Cannibalism
>To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>Sender: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
>
>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>> days when the
>> reliable evidence
>> informants, I think
>> cannibalism are a

>> before "three out of
>> brought by soldiers,
>> anthropologists was

>> dependent upon "aid
>> the government
>> upon a never-ending
>> monies to study them --
>> stories of ritual
>> giving outsiders what
>> >
>> >What makes you suspect the Wari' are BSing the
>> author?
>> >
>> >Todd
>>
> > Check out the work of Alessandro Portelli (a review
>> of his work is
>> available at
>> <http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0103/0882.html>).
>
>Yes, home is so sad.
>
>By the time you
>read this it will be too late.
>
>Alec

His 17 Aug 2001 post disturbed me so much that I looked him up in the directory and called him. I was so relieved when he called back.

I can't help thinking that I should have done something other than simply e-mailing back -- I don't know what -- when he wrote me offlist on 28 Sep 2002. -- Yoshie