David Corn: troubling origins of the anti-war movement

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Sun Nov 3 16:51:30 PST 2002

Liza Featherstone wrote:

> Chuck writes:
>

>>"People
>>watching the tube or reading the newspaper in Nashville, Tenn. can write off
>>the Washington protests as "just those lefty Mumia folks," whereas a protest
>>in Nashville shows that local folks oppose the war."
>

> David writes:
>
>>Here we go with these sweeping assumptions of "people's" subjectivity again.
>>Completely meaningless, and totally unscientific. There is way too much of
>>this crap going on on this list.
>>

> Unscientific????? What Chuck writes here is common sense, based on
> experience as an activist and as a person. I happen not to agree with him
> about the futility of mass protests, but very much agree the local protests
> are much better way to reach some publics. Do you have any "scientific"
> evidence against what he says?

Thank you, Liza. I'm not totally opposed to mass protests, but my chief problem with them is how they are used by some groups as the sum total of their strategy. If you look at all the protests organized by the International Action Center over the past 5 years, you will see the same formula repeated over and over again. Mass rallies and marches, always permitted.

The Mobilization for Global Justice here in Washington, on the other hand, organizes a mixture of mass rallies and marches, illegal and unpermitted actions, educational events, and much more. This choice of tactics and methods allows a diverse range of people to participate and allows them to choose what they want to do. This give the MGJ greater flexibility in terms of long term strategy.

I also want to reiterate that I don't think that mass rallies and demos are without effect on the general public or the rulers. However, we need to be savvy about what we do with this tactic and not make assumptions about the historical use of mass spectacles.

Let's face it: four straight hours of speeches is going to turn people away no matter how many times Jesse Jackson speaks.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)