David Corn: troubling origins of the anti-war

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 08:36:16 PST 2002

i went to the boston rally yesterday (http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/308/metro/15_000_protest_attack_on_Iraq+.shtml)

I didn't see too many Stalinists and ultras. Yes, they were there. But they were far, far outnumbered by the peacenik crowd. It was, on balance, a gentle and upbeat march.

The American Friends Service Committee's table was jammed with vistors, ANSWER's abundately less so. TIKKUN had a nice little prescence.

I only heard one or two speakers, and they were strident, I admit. But no one paid them any attention; and I didn't notice anyone leaving as a result.

The U.S. is about to launch a brutal war and the mostly gentle, earnest people who show up at these rallies are the only force that stands in the way. I don't like the ultras either, but hand-wringing about "Stalinism," in this context, is diversionary bullshit.