David Corn: troubling origins of the anti-war

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Nov 4 12:19:29 PST 2002

mike larkin wrote:
> i went to the boston rally yesterday
> (http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/308/metro/15_000_protest_attack_on_Iraq+.shtml)
>
> I didn't see too many Stalinists and ultras. Yes,
> they were there. But they were far, far outnumbered
> by the peacenik crowd. It was, on balance, a gentle
> and upbeat march.
>
> The American Friends Service Committee's table was
> jammed with vistors, ANSWER's abundately less so.
> TIKKUN had a nice little prescence.
>
> I only heard one or two speakers, and they were
> strident, I admit. But no one paid them any
> attention; and I didn't notice anyone leaving as a
> result.
>
> The U.S. is about to launch a brutal war and the
> mostly gentle, earnest people who show up at these
> rallies are the only force that stands in the way. I
> don't like the ultras either, but hand-wringing about
> "Stalinism," in this context, is diversionary
> bullshit.

So, do you think "hand-wringing" about racism and sexism in activism are diversionary bullshit? I get the impression that activists are free to talk about these issues, which some see as divisive, but yet when anybody engages in a discussion about groups that pretend to lead a movement, people are asked to shut up because of "the bigger crisis"?

You see, if we don't talk about this shit, then we are engaging in our activism with one hand tied behind our back and with blinders on. Read up on the role of the "ultras" during the 1960s and 70s peace movement, or the protests against Gulf War 1, and you'll understand how important this discussion is.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)