Hitch

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 11:08:34 PST 2002

Hitch did
> say 2 intriguing things:
> 1) he wasn't sure whether the term "imperialism"
> accurately described what
> the US/UK were up to and 2) something to the effect
> that "we have to ask
> what a non-imperial occupation of Iraq would be
> like." So I think this would
> be a good jumping off point -- is a non-imperial
> occupation even imaginable?
> Jeet

Sure. Like Condi says, we're "special" cause we love freedom and democracy, so when we take over Iraq and hand out its oil leases to the Prez's pal's, it's all in a good cause, not imperialist. THEY are imperialist, YOU are aggressive, WE are special. What;s os hard about that?

It's time to haul out Brecht's The Anachronistic March of Freedom and Democracy (about postwar Germany), not one his more poetic efforts, but to the point; or the genuinely great poem that inspired it, Shelley's Masque of Anarchy (nothing to do with Anarc_ism_), the concluding lines of which comfort me in dark times:

Rise Like lions after slumber In unvanquishable number Shake to earth the chains like dew That in sleep have fall'n on you Ye are many--they are few!

jks

jks