Hitch

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Nov 4 11:46:22 PST 2002

Doug Henwood:
> Ok, looks like I've booked Hitchens for the radio this Thursday, 5
> PM. Any thoughts on what I should ask him? Questions on Orwell would
> be nice, as well as the obvious.

I'd like you to find out, if you can, how many Arabs it would be good to kill in order to install democracy in Iraq, prevent Saddam Hussein from someday possibly getting nuclear weapons, get cheap oil, or whatever other purposes he finds attractively served by war. It would be even better to find out who they are, what their names are, what they're doing today, what they look like, how many friends and relatives they have, that sort of thing, but even a mere number might do something. 117? 236,112? 1,567,998?

I realize the game isn't played this way, that the point is to escape into bright, bloodless abstractions. So I don't know why I even bothered to write this -- slacking off at work, I suppose. But still, maybe if you put the hook in right, it'll bleed, know what I mean? And as Arnie says in _Predator_, "If it can bleed it can die." Not the Arabs, but the war, the empire, the bullshit.

-- Gordon