TAP: not dead yet

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 4 11:11:13 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> ["staunchly liberal"? - isn't that an oxymoron?]

[typo corrected]

No. Most of the people in the local anti-war group here probably would be best described by that. A bunch of them at this very moment are gathering at the Airport to greet Senator Durbin with signs congratulating him for voting for peace. I made a pro forma statement yesterday at the meeting predicting involvement with the DP would be fruitless, but didn't argue against the action beyond that. How else should they be described. They are among the people that I have been arguing all along already agree with us but don't know it yet. Bush reached them <g>. Now we will see.

These same staunch liberals assigned me to the task of writing a series of one-page information leaflets responding to various questions. We [Jan & I were out of town, but had been in on the preparations] held a "town meeting" Oct. 26 (advertised in the local paper), and distributed a list of questions (I had prepared it) and asked attenders to circle the questions they thought were most important. Now, as I say, we will see.

Carrol