Hitch

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Nov 4 17:45:20 PST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:

> I just got the book and am only a few pages into it, but he offers
> these definitions of "Orwellian": "to imply crushing tyranny and fear
> and conformism" and "to recognize that human resistance to these
> terrors is unquenchable." The sense in which "Eastasia isn't our
> enemy, Eastasia is our friend!" doesn't appear.

And nothing about doublethink? Like "pre-emptive defense?" Or "war is peace?"

Speaking of Orwellian, that Information Awareness Office you posted a link to earlier

<http://www.darpa.mil/iao>

had a wonderful example. Under ten examples of technologies that would be employed to fight terrorism, next to "biometric measurement of humans" and "machine translation capability" was:

o Story telling, change detection, and truth maintenance

Michael