Hitch

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 4 20:11:21 PST 2002

At 6:13 PM -0600 11/4/02, steve philion wrote:
>1) how can he take Bush's claims about the awesome power of Saddam's
>weaponry when every claim he has made has been pretty solidly refuted

My question would be, "On October 24, 2002, you argued on NPR that the US government should think twice about attacking North Korea, because the 'North Koreans do have deterrent power,' capable of destroying Seoul, whereas you are quite sanguine about invading Iraq. Does that mean that the US government should attack Iraq now, not because it may have weapons of mass destruction, but because any thinking person other than Bush's speech writers is quite certain that it does not have them today, therefore essentially no threat not just to USA but also to its neighbors, charades about 'material breaches' and 'weapons inspections' notwithstanding? If you have changed your mind since then and now insist that the Hussein regime does probably have weapons of mass destruction, let me ask you this -- won't attacking Iraq pose danger to its neighbors, just as, in your opinion, attacking North Korea will spell a doom to Seoul?" -- Yoshie