Al-Q Honcho Hit

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 5 12:07:06 PST 2002

Use of power is unavoidable on both international and domestic level - anyothe who thinks otherwise is dreaming. The point is to use power judiciously (that does not necessarily mean judicially) - an assassination of people who are about to launch a terrorist attack is a judicious use of power, while assassiantion of political opponents is not. Assassination of terrorists that causes civilian casualties is in between. In the same vein, shooting a guy who is about to rape you is a juducious use of lethal weapon even if it amount to an extra-judicial execution, while shooting a kid throwing up a grafitti on a wall is not.

Every person having destructive means at his disposal must make judgments how to use them judiciously. Calling for total abstention form using such means, or leaving it solely to the judiciaty to decide what constitutes judicious do not seem like reasonable proposals.

Wojtek