Al-Q Honcho Hit

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 5 12:35:21 PST 2002

Jordan:
> It's not judicious anything. The use of lethal force as
> self-defense is only justified (in the US, at least: stay on
> topic) when (among other
> things) NO OTHER MEANS ARE AVAILABLE to avoid the felony.
>
> The US was not at all in the situation of being about to be
> raped by those guys. Don't kid yourself. And don't belittle
> rape victims while you're kidding yourself.

The fact that I used a poor metaphor does not invalidate the point that I was making - that use os force in unavoidable, and the point is to use it judiciously. Western thought does not seem to deal with this issue well - it oscillates between the turn-the-other-cheek pacifism, which like prohibition, not a very realistic stance, and cheerleading of going ballistic - which borders on genocide.

Wojtek