product discontinued

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 5 14:07:53 PST 2002

New York Post [Page Six] - November 5, 2002

MATTEL has stopped making its best-selling Harry Potter vibrating broomstick, but the toy company says its decision is not based on the plaything's popularity as a pre-teen sex toy. As we reported in September, Mattel's Nimbus 2000 drew raves from kids but horrified parents who found their teenage daughters riding the buzzing $19.99 broomsticks. In the wake of our story, Time Out New York even rated the Nimbus along with bona fide vibrators in its Sex Issue. But a Mattel rep claims, "It's not because of the stories. It's just not a continued product in our 2002 line." Strange considering the Harry Potter franchise is stronger than ever.