Door to Door Again Re: Are Marches Pep-Rallies?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 5 15:04:08 PST 2002

At 4:49 PM -0500 11/5/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>-Small demos, big demos, local demos, national demos - let a thousand
>-flowers bloom. And if Nathan wants to knock on doors, that's fine
>-with me too.
>
>Except people have limited time and if the effort is too defused, it won't
>register much publicly. One reason I like door-knocking is that it has the
>advantage that it doesn't have to register publicly, since you are talking
>directly with the public, bypassing the media filter.

You still haven't answered the question of what a door-to-door campaign against the war on Iraq may consist of. What do you bring to doors? What do you ask people to do once you get to talk to people at their homes? What concrete objective do you hope to achieve through such a campaign? Which organization, if any, has the capacity to organize such a campaign locally or nationally -- especially an ability to marshal a large number of volunteers for a long time?

At 4:49 PM -0500 11/5/02, Nathan Newman wrote:
>But if you are looking for media impact, coordination does matter. The idea
>that tactical strategy and sustained coordinated campaigns are unnecessary--
>you do your thing, I'll do mine -- is one reason the conservatives have
>dominated the agenda, not because they have more support, but they are
>better at coordinating simple "talking points."

At present there is no one organization or coalition that can coordinate campaigns using different tactics: national demos; local demos; direct action and civil disobedience; vigils; flyering; tabling; door-knocking; lobbying; running electoral candidates; etc. What is to be done? -- Yoshie