Are Marches Pep-Rallies? (was Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 5 16:09:44 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

>Where the left can't restrain itself from listing everything from Mumia to
>farm aid at every rally, the rightwing is much better at picking a
>particular issue, pointing all their guns at it, and blasting it onto the
>front page.

The respectable right, maybe, but really, the movement right can be as weird and nutty as the left, maybe more so.

Besides, while I can see the point of a sharp focus at a rally, single-issue stuff is brain deadening. I don't see how an antiwar rally can avoid issues of economic hierarchy or domestic repression, and I don't see how a drop the debt rally could ignore the U.S. military. You don't have to go into a Bella Abzug-style catalog of woe, but you can't explain war or debt without drawing some connections.

Doug