Are Marches Pep-Rallies? (was Antiwar Protest Largest Since '60s)

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Nov 5 21:00:36 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:
>Where the left can't restrain itself from listing everything from Mumia to
>farm aid at every rally, the rightwing is much better at picking a
>particular issue, pointing all their guns at it, and blasting it onto the
>front page.

-Besides, while I can see the point of a sharp focus at a rally, -single-issue stuff is brain deadening. I don't see how an antiwar -rally can avoid issues of economic hierarchy or domestic repression, -and I don't see how a drop the debt rally could ignore the U.S. -military.

The point is not to be single issue in your analysis but figuring out what you want the headline to be on a particular DAY and concentrating on points that will push that headline and story. If you don't pick the headline, you let the media pick it-- and they won't pick on the one you want.

-- Nathan Newman